Tip: Pick Sloes after the first frost and use straight away or pop into the freezer over night for a mock frost. This should split the skins, making it easier to release the juices into the gin. Some people recommend pricking the skin but that is not necessary when they were frozen.
- Sloes, fresh or frozen
- If you are using frozen sloes, let them thaw a bit.
- Fill up a jar/bottle half way with sloes.
- Top up with gin.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar.
- Shake for about a minute until the sugar is dissolved.
- Store jar/bottle on it’s side in a cool and dark place. (Or in a brown paper bag)
- Turn the jar/bottle around every second day.
You can strain and drink it after two months but the longer you leave it, the better it gets!